From: Thomas Schneider <thomas+meli@brainfuck.space>
To: meli-general@meli.delivery
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 00:01:34 +0200
I tried testing meli with my smallest notmuch setup and found it quite
lacking.
When starting meli it takes about 14 seconds to actually show the mail
interface. I only have around 9000 Mails in my inbox and since notmuch
is used and the first page only shows around 70 mails it shouldn't take
this long.
Doing an equivalent query in python
> msgs = Query(db, 'tag:inbox').search_threads()
takes less than half a second. I didn't yet look at what the code is
doing, but since the notmuch interface does the querying and sorting of
the mails meli should probably figure out how many messages fit on my
screen and only render those at first.

If meli somehow has to prerender every message and do additional queries
it could certainly explain a larger delay, but taking 14 seconds seems a
little excessive.

Kind regards,
Thomas