From: Matthias Beyer <mail@beyermatthias.de>
To: meli-general@meli.delivery
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 10:01:22 +0200
Hi,

I found meli via reddit and had a quick look at the website - awesome project
and I'd love to contribute a little bit (only a little bit because I have some
other stuff I really have to get going).

I have one question which I did not see as answered after looking at the
website, though:

Do you plan to integrate mail fetching and sending in the mail client itself?
Because I am really in favour of the unix philosophy here and I'd like to see a
mail _reader_ seperate from a mail _sender_ and a mail _fetcher_. Also, I would
love to see integration into other tooling (contact management, calendar
management, task/todo management) _outside_ of the mail client (if this is
applicable at all to your project).

FWIW, you have to note that I am the author of imag [0] the personal information
management suite, where I want to have tools for contact management, mail
tracking (not a MUA/MTA though), todo management, etc etc etc...

What I am mainly asking for is
1) Unix philosophy: One tool for one job
2) Possibility to integrate other tools via scripting (because that whats imag
is focused on).

Feel free to shoot me any questions and get a discussion going!

[0]: https://imag-pim.org

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,
From: epilys@nessuent.xyz
To: meli-general@meli-email.org
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 11:21:02 +0000
> Do you plan to integrate mail fetching and sending in the mail client itself?
> Because I am really in favour of the unix philosophy here and I'd like to see a
> mail _reader_ seperate from a mail _sender_ and a mail _fetcher_.

Right now meli works as a part of a mail software stack, I personally
use msmtp and offlineimap. I'd like to have both options though, because
not everyone might want to setup a lot of stuff just to send e-mail; it
should just work.

> Also, I would love to see integration into other tooling (contact
> management, calendar management, task/todo management) _outside_ of
> the mail client (if this is applicable at all to your project).

It isn't exactly a project target, but the plugin and hook interface I
plan on adding eventually should make this possible.

> FWIW, you have to note that I am the author of imag [0] the personal information
> management suite, where I want to have tools for contact management, mail
> tracking (not a MUA/MTA though), todo management, etc etc etc...

A thought I have had is to create a common programmable interface for
apps like that. :) ie to have every app be able to query other app data
and writing how you want to view the data in a TUI with scripts.
From: mail@beyermatthias.de
To: meli-general@meli-email.org
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 11:46:32 +0000
Hi,

On 14-07-2019 14:21:02, Manos Pitsidianakis wrote:
> > Do you plan to integrate mail fetching and sending in the mail client itself?
> > Because I am really in favour of the unix philosophy here and I'd like to see a
> > mail _reader_ seperate from a mail _sender_ and a mail _fetcher_.
>
> Right now meli works as a part of a mail software stack, I personally
> use msmtp and offlineimap. I'd like to have both options though, because
> not everyone might want to setup a lot of stuff just to send e-mail; it
> should just work.

I agree. I use msmtp and offlineimap myself and I'd like to continue using them
when switching my MUA.

Having it included in meli itself (as long as I can turn it off easily) seems
fine to me!

> > Also, I would love to see integration into other tooling (contact
> > management, calendar management, task/todo management) _outside_ of
> > the mail client (if this is applicable at all to your project).
>
> It isn't exactly a project target, but the plugin and hook interface I
> plan on adding eventually should make this possible.

Awesome!

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,