From: DINH Viêt Hoà <dinh.viet.hoa@free.fr>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:41 -0000
Hello,

I was possibly planning to implement IDLE on my IMAP client prototype
(http://www.etpanX.org) to know (mostly) real-time the count of unread
messages on the mailboxes but I fell on the following problem:
Theorically, if we suppose that any mail can be delivered to any
mailbox (especially because of server-side filters), you have to show
the the user for all subscribed mailboxes the status of the mailbox.
So that I have to make a connection for each mailbox to request IDLE
from the server.
I have more than 10 mailboxes.
In practice since many servers won't allow that much connections
(because of resource usage), this is not possible to do this. Many
servers will limit to 3 connections.
Then, use of IDLE is not possible to do this.

The other possibility is to use the old-poll-sheme using STATUS.

is the following draft supposed to solve that problem ?
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lemonade-imap-notify-01

--
DINH Vi?t Ho?
From: alexey.melnikov@isode.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:41 -0000
DINH Vi?t Ho? wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I was possibly planning to implement IDLE on my IMAP client prototype
>(http://www.etpanX.org) to know (mostly) real-time the count of unread
>messages on the mailboxes but I fell on the following problem:
>Theorically, if we suppose that any mail can be delivered to any
>mailbox (especially because of server-side filters), you have to show
>the the user for all subscribed mailboxes the status of the mailbox.
>So that I have to make a connection for each mailbox to request IDLE
>from the server.
>I have more than 10 mailboxes.
>In practice since many servers won't allow that much connections
>(because of resource usage), this is not possible to do this. Many
>servers will limit to 3 connections.
>Then, use of IDLE is not possible to do this.
>
>The other possibility is to use the old-poll-sheme using STATUS.
>
>is the following draft supposed to solve that problem ?
>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lemonade-imap-notify-01

Yes.
From: dave@cridland.net
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:41 -0000
On Sun Dec  2 11:49:08 2007, DINH Vi?t Ho? wrote:
> is the following draft supposed to solve that problem ?
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lemonade-imap-notify-01

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Kind of - "unread" is not an IMAP "thing", as such, and
NOTIFY will tell you about "unseen", not "unread". Philip van Hoof,
amongst others, has been talking about the distinction recently, and
it's quite possible this is something that ought to be addressed.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@cridland.net - xmpp:dwd@jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/