From: Peter Bowen <pzbowen@gmail.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:40 -0000
I'm working on some IMAP client code, and hit the following portion of
ABNF grammer in RFC 3501:

resp-text = ["[" resp-text-code "]" SP] text

Should the following lines be considered protocol errors?

* NO [UNSEEN]
* NO [TRYCREATE
* NO [FOO(BAR)]

The resp-text rule says "[" must have a matching "]" and the
resp-text-code rule says UNSEEN must be followed by a nz-number and
the the first word after the [ must be an atom, so they would appear
to be errors.

However, the first part of resp-text is optional, so should these just
be considered to have text ("[UNSEEN]", "[TRYCREATE", and "[FOO(BAR)]"
and no response code?

Thanks.
Peter
From: MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:40 -0000
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Peter Bowen wrote:
> However, the first part of resp-text is optional, so should these just
> be considered to have text ("[UNSEEN]", "[TRYCREATE", and "[FOO(BAR)]"
> and no response code?

Yes.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc