From: Gene Smith <gds@chartertn.net>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
I see this when I send client command LIST with telnet:

3 list "" "/*"
* LIST () "/" "/SUSPECTED SPAM"
3 OK LIST completed

When I do LSUB with the same parameters I see this:

3 lsub "" "/*"
* LSUB () "/" "Trash"
* LSUB () "/" "Inbox"
* LSUB () "/" "&BCcENQRABD0EPgQyBDgEOgQ4-"
* LSUB () "/" "&BB4EQgQ,BEAEMAQyBDsENQQ9BD0ESwQ1-"
* LSUB () "/" "/SUSPECTED SPAM"
* LSUB () "/" "Junk E-Mail"
* LSUB () "/" "Junk"
* LSUB () "/" "&BCMENAQwBDsENQQ9BD0ESwQ1-ZZZ"
* LSUB () "/" "SUSPECTED HAM"
* LSUB () "/" "INBOX/Testing"
* LSUB () "/" "gds"
* LSUB () "/" "gds/eds"
* LSUB () "/" "gds/sdg"
3 OK LSUB completed

I expected to see only /SUSPECTED SPAM in the lsub response just like
list returns instead of all the mailboxes.

However, if I do this:

3 OK LIST completed
3 lsub "" "//*"
* LSUB () "/" "/SUSPECTED SPAM"
3 OK LSUB completed

I see only the /SUSPECTED SPAM now.

Why are two slashes required for lsub but not for list?

The "/SUSPECTED SPAM" mailbox, I am told, is configured as a public
folder in the MDaemon IMAP server. I don't have direct access to the
server and don't know why the name starts with a slash.

Additional info: The namespace command reports as follows:

3 namespace
* NAMESPACE (("" "/")) NIL (("/" "/"))
3 OK NAMESPACE completed

Note also that the unreadable mailbox names are Russian encodings.

Thanks,
-gene
From: gds@chartertn.net
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
Maybe an easier question would be what is the correct ways to send a
LIST and LSUB when the reference is empty string, the prefix is / and
the hierarchy separator is also /  ?

-gene