From: Mark Crispin <mrc+uw@panda.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
I just discovered that the GroupWise IMAP server does not permit the
target of a COPY command to be the selected mailbox.  GroupWise has other
issues, but apparently nobody has ever complained about this.

Do other servers prohibit COPY to the selected mailbox?

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
From: tss@iki.fi
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
On Jul 12, 2009, at 12:47 AM, Mark Crispin wrote:

> I just discovered that the GroupWise IMAP server does not permit the
> target of a COPY command to be the selected mailbox.  GroupWise has
> other issues, but apparently nobody has ever complained about this.
>
> Do other servers prohibit COPY to the selected mailbox?

Dovecot with mbox format doesn't allow it, because it caused it to
crash and I never bothered to fix it. What's the point of doing that
anyway?
From: alexey.melnikov@isode.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
Mark Crispin wrote:

> I just discovered that the GroupWise IMAP server does not permit the
> target of a COPY command to be the selected mailbox.  GroupWise has
> other issues, but apparently nobody has ever complained about this.
>
> Do other servers prohibit COPY to the selected mailbox?

Isode M-Box doesn't.
While this might not be very useful for end users, I am frequently using
this for testing.
From: mrc+uw@panda.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> Do other servers prohibit COPY to the selected mailbox?
> Dovecot with mbox format doesn't allow it, because it caused it to crash and
> I never bothered to fix it. What's the point of doing that anyway?

UW thought that it was important for some reason that I was never able to
fathom.  The requirement to make that work is a primary reason why UW IMAP
sucks so badly on Solaris and other SVR4 systems.

It doesn't matter with the new server that I wrote for MA (completely
different filesystem technology), so it's mostly of academic interest to
me now.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
From: arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
Alexey Melnikov writes:
> While this might not be very useful for end users, I am frequently
> using this for testing.

Right. The easiest/fastest way I know to put a million messages into a
mailbox is to put a few there with append, then copy the mailbox to
itself 10-20 times.

Arnt
From: alexey.melnikov@isode.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Alexey Melnikov writes:
>
>> While this might not be very useful for end users, I am frequently
>> using this for testing.
>
> Right. The easiest/fastest way I know to put a million messages into a
> mailbox is to put a few there with append, then copy the mailbox to
> itself 10-20 times.

Exactly :-)