From: Mark Crispin <mrc+uw@panda.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:43 -0000
Are there any IMAP clients that depend upon being able to do a wildcard in
listing other users to load their list of accessible mailboxes?  That is,
given a server that advertises a namespace of
 	(("" "/")) (("/" "/")) (("/Public/" "/"))

How many IMAP clients routinely expect to be able to do
 	tag LIST "" /*

I can see doing
 	tag LIST "" *		(although I prefer % or %/%)
and
 	tag LIST "" /Public/*

but I'm a bit skeptical about /* in this case.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
From: dkarp@zimbra.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:43 -0000
> Are there any IMAP clients that depend upon being able to do a
> wildcard in listing other users to load their list of accessible
> mailboxes?  That is, given a server that advertises a namespace of
>
> How many IMAP clients routinely expect to be able to do
>  	tag LIST "" /*

Thunderbird's been doing something like this for quite a while.
Although they may request just a list of users with visible
mailboxes (e.g. tag LIST "" /%).

I think they no longer throw up an alert dialog if the server responds
NO to such a request.