From: Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
The question has come up about possible extensions to what may optionally
be reported by the server due to authentication conditions.  Obviously,
there is substantial security sensitivity here.

The conditions in question are:
  . password will expire at such-and-such future time (or interval)
  . password has expired
  . account will expire at such-and-such future time (or interval)
  . account has expired
  . account has been disabled

It is desired to include a URL that will provide more information.

Currently, the only way to do this is with ALERT, but perhaps it would be
useful if the client could know about some of these.

Example (with both ALERT for compatibility and new response code)

* NO [EXPIRED http://imap.example.com/expired]
tag NO [ALERT] Your account has expired, contact the help desk

Comments?

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
From: dave@cridland.net
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
On Tue Apr  4 22:15:01 2006, Mark Crispin wrote:
> The conditions in question are:
>  . password will expire at such-and-such future time (or interval)
>  . password has expired
>  . account will expire at such-and-such future time (or interval)
>  . account has expired
>  . account has been disabled

That last is definitely a security issue, isn't it?

It'd be useful to be able to signal all the SASL codes that are in
ACAP - TRANSITION-NEEDED, for instance, or AUTH-TOO-WEAK.

> Example (with both ALERT for compatibility and new response code)
>
> * NO [EXPIRED http://imap.example.com/expired]
> tag NO [ALERT] Your account has expired, contact the help desk
>
> Comments?

I'm not convinced all clients will understand untagged responses
inside an AUTHENTICATE command - I think Alexey and Corby abandoned
that syntax style for the RECONNECT work a while back at least partly
due to that concern.

Also, I don't think that the alert is needed here - clients typically
report the text of the error after a failure, so I suspect you're
safe using the terminal response:

tag NO [EXPIRED http://imap.example.com/expired] Your account has
expired, contact the help desk.

However, the better alternative would be to combine this proposal
with an update to the AUTHENTICATE command which both explicitly
added untagged responses during its execution, and supported both
initial response and final success SASL data from the server. You
could make it use literal8 instead of base64, too

Dave.
--
           You see things; and you say "Why?"
    - George Bernard Shaw