From: Daan Rijnders <daan.rijnders@chronotech.nl>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:36 -0000
Hello,

I might be on the complete wrong list, but I still hope their might be
someone who can send me into the right direction.

I'm trying to connect to my exchange server using Telnet on port 143 (IMAP).
I'm getting the mail servers welcome message, but then I need to enter my
login credentials.
I enter: "? Login domain/username password" (without the quotes)
this results in an error: one of the requested permissions is not assigned
to the client. I checked this on the Exchange server to see if my user is
IMAP enabled and did the same thing in Active Directory. Both state that my
user is able to use IMAP.

Question: is this case sensitive? Should I use all CAPS? forward slashes?

Is there any kind of guide on IMAP using telnet? Microsoft has 1 KB article
but I already noticed that they misspelled the login line, and they expect
that the login works.

Can anyone shine a light on this one?

Cheers,
Daan

El vie, 20-01-2006 a las 10:28 +0100, Daan Rijnders escribi?:
> Hello,
>
> I might be on the complete wrong list, but I still hope their might be
> someone who can send me into the right direction.
>
> I'm trying to connect to my exchange server using Telnet on port 143
> (IMAP).

[Note:  I have never used Exchange and I am not familiar with its
particularities].

> I'm getting the mail servers welcome message, but then I need to enter
> my login credentials.

This proves that as far as telnet is concerned the connection is
correctly established.

> I enter: "? Login domain/username password" (without the quotes)

I don't know if maybe the character '?' would create a problem.  Use a
normal text label by typing something like:

	a001 login <user> <password>

> this results in an error: one of the requested permissions is not
> assigned to the client.

Can you send us the exact error message?  (this might help seeing the
problem).

Maybe for some reason the server does not succeed to create/read the
possibly needed mail storage area...

> I checked this on the Exchange server to see if my user is IMAP
> enabled and did the same thing in Active Directory. Both state that my
> user is able to use IMAP.

I have never used Exchange but I have heard that indeed the user's IMAP
access needs to be explicitly enabled.  Apparently this is the case.

> Question: is this case sensitive? Should I use all CAPS? forward
> slashes?

AFAIK IMAP protocol is case insesitive to the commands.   Of course
login and password values are system dependent.

> Is there any kind of guide on IMAP using telnet?

As I said above, I think that the problem is not related to telnet.
Exchange or any other server does not have the capacity to know whether
the connection comes from Outlook, Mozilla thunderbird or a telnet
process.

If you want to know the exact commands to send and the possible expected
somebody here knows).

I would suggest the following approaches:

A)  Grab the IMAP standard (RFC3501) and give it a global overview.

B)  If you have access to a working IMAP server with an IMAP client,
    capture a session with Ethereal and try to reproduce it in the
    telnet connection.

> Microsoft has 1 KB article but I already noticed that they misspelled
> the login line, and they expect that the login works.

Microsoft is well known for not following standards in their products.

And besides, having their own exchange protocol I don't think they are
interested in promoting IMAP support beyond some basic needs (like
importing emails from an existing IMAP account).

So I wouldn't expect any help from them in this matter.

--

      (O-O)
---oOO-(_)-OOo-----------------------------------------------------

 Miembro de http://www.linuca.org         Tel home: +32 2 280 1614
 Membre de  http://www.bxlug.be           GSM:      +32 497 038804
On Fri Jan 20 09:28:36 2006, Daan Rijnders wrote:
> I enter: "? Login domain/username password" (without the quotes)
> this results in an error: one of the requested permissions is not
> assigned
> to the client. I checked this on the Exchange server to see if my
> user is
> IMAP enabled and did the same thing in Active Directory. Both state
> that my
> user is able to use IMAP.

Right. Exchange's IMAP support is, contrary to popular belief,
actually quite reasonable, as far as I'm aware. The client support in
Outlook and Outlook Express is notoriously terrible, but credit where
credit's due.

> Question: is this case sensitive? Should I use all CAPS? forward
> slashes?

I can't remember - it's been ages since I messed about with IMAP on
Exchange. What I do remember is that you also need to specify the
alias, or at least used to need to. Officially, this isn't needed (or
wasn't then), but it won't login without it. This might even have
been on Exchange 5.5, but I couldn't honestly tell you.

So for my case, it was something vaguely like Dave/FELSPAR/dac as a
username - where Dave was my NT login, FELSPAR the domain, and dac my
alias - that is, the local-part of the email address. The slashes
might have been the other way around, hence Dave\FELSPAR\dac - I'm
really not sure.

Dave.
--
           You see things; and you say "Why?"