From: "Patankar, Sujay" <spatankar@starentnetworks.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
Hi,
1:  Since there can be multiple untagged replies to an IMAP request, and
    I've seen in the field that sometimes there is no tagged response at

    all, how do I make sure that there will be no more replies to a
    particular IMAP request?
    e.g. I have seen a LIST request getting three untagged LIST
    and no tagged response at all.
2:  Is there only one tagged response to a request, or can there be more
    than one?
3:  When there are two or more requests in the pipeline, and I receive
an
    untagged response, to which of the requests does it belong?

Thanks,
Sujay.

"This email message and any attachments are confidential information of Starent Networks, Corp. The information transmitted may not be used to create or change any contractual obligations of Starent Networks, Corp.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this e-mail and its attachments by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately -- by replying to this message or by sending an email to postmaster@starentnetworks.com -- and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments without reading or disclosing their contents. Thank you."
From: ams@oryx.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
At 2006-06-22 12:46:45 +0530, spatankar@starentnetworks.com wrote:

> I have seen a LIST request getting three untagged LIST responses, and
> no tagged response at all.

That's just plain broken. Which server is generating that?

> 2:  Is there only one tagged response to a request, or can there be
> more than one?

Every command must have exactly one tagged response, and it tells you
that processing of the command has completed.

> 3:  When there are two or more requests in the pipeline, and I receive
> an untagged response, to which of the requests does it belong?

In general, you can't tell. (Why do you need to?)

-- ams
From: mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Patankar, Sujay wrote:
> 1:  Since there can be multiple untagged replies to an IMAP request, and
>    I've seen in the field that sometimes there is no tagged response at
>    all, how do I make sure that there will be no more replies to a
>    particular IMAP request?
>    e.g. I have seen a LIST request getting three untagged LIST responses,
>    and no tagged response at all.

A server that operates the way that you claim would not work at all with
most IMAP clients.

A more likely explanation is that either your observations are incomplete
(perhaps due to a bug in the program recording those observations) or you
misinterpreted what you observed.  Please review both your recording
program and your observations.

Note that TCP is a stream.  There is no reason to believe that the tagged
OK would be in the same segment as the untagged responses.  It may be in a
later segment.  Thus, it is generally incorrect to look at TCP segments at
all, and instead to consider the overall stream.

> 2:  Is there only one tagged response to a request, or can there be more
>    than one?

There is one, and only one, tagged response to a request.

> 3:  When there are two or more requests in the pipeline, and I receive an
>    untagged response, to which of the requests does it belong?

You can not do so, and in general there is no reason why you need to do
so.  The entire point of the untagged data model in IMAP is that the
client maintain a state of the mailbox, possibly incomplete.  Untagged
load/update that state in the client.

This does mean that there are some commands, most notably LIST, LSUB,
SEARCH, SORT, and THREAD, in which you probably do not want to have more
than one such command in progress at a time unless you desire that the
effective output be combined.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc