From: Andris Reinman <andris.reinman@gmail.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
Hi all,

I'm building a new open source IMAP server (
https://github.com/wildduck-email/wildduck) and was wondering about the
\Recent flag. Is it even needed today? I would like to keep my server as
standards compliant as possible but the ephemeral nature of \Recent makes
it a bit difficult to sync between sessions in multiple hosts. It would be
doable but the complexity needed does not make it seem worth it.

Is there even any major client using this flag in a sane way? I don't think
I have even ever encountered it outside the RFCs.

Best regards,
Andris Reinman
From: njhaveri@apple.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
I agree, and we aren?t using it in iOS/macOS Mail.  We?ve thought about it several times, though? but every time, the semantics proved to not be reliable enough.

On Mar 10, 2017, at 1:42 PM, Andris Reinman <andris.reinman@gmail.com<mailto:andris.reinman@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm building a new open source IMAP server (https://github.com/wildduck-email/wildduck) and was wondering about the \Recent flag. Is it even needed today? I would like to keep my server as standards compliant as possible but the ephemeral nature of \Recent makes it a bit difficult to sync between sessions in multiple hosts. It would be doable but the complexity needed does not make it seem worth it.

Is there even any major client using this flag in a sane way? I don't think I have even ever encountered it outside the RFCs.

Best regards,
Andris Reinman

Simultaneous access does make it more complicated, you have to maintain a
lock across or at least issue a locked RMW to wherever you're storing that
value.

Never seemed all that worth it to me, especially trying to sync with
non-IMAP access in our case.

Brandon

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:50 AM, Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no