From: "Ali, Saqib" <docbook.xml@gmail.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:51 -0000
I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but I will
ask anyways :)

We have an application that connects to [Gmail]\All Mail. However it
appears this special folder's name is localized based on user's
localization settings.

What is the best way to handle this? One way is to keep a list of localized
names of this folder........

Thanks,
Saqib
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \All) "/" "[Gmail]/All Mail"

(notice the "\All? in the response)

Best regards,
Andris Reinman

From: docbook.xml@gmail.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:51 -0000
Thanks Andris! :)

From: blong@google.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:51 -0000
Yes, gmail currently only notifies of new messages and expunged messages
during idle.

Brandon
On Jan 23, 2014 1:26 PM, "Rick Sanders" <rfs9999@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Is it true that Gmail does not send notification to a client which is
> idling on a mailbox?
>
> I ran across that while testing some code that detects flag changes using
> IDLE and I was surprised that I did not get anything from Gmail.
>
> Google searches suggest that's the case.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick
>
> --
> Rick Sanders
> rfs9999@earthlink.net
> IMAP Tools  http://www.athensfbc.com/imap-tools

Gmail's IDLE only returns for new or deleted mail, not flag changes.

From: alexey.melnikov@isode.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:52 -0000
Hi Brandon,

Can you add an IMAP capability (or can an existing one be used) so that client can detect this behaviour?

Thank you,
Alexey

> On 23 Jan 2014, at 21:32, Brandon Long <blong@google.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, gmail currently only notifies of new messages and expunged messages during idle.
>
> Brandon
>
>> On Jan 23, 2014 1:26 PM, "Rick Sanders" <rfs9999@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Is it true that Gmail does not send notification to a client which is idling on a mailbox?
>>
>> I ran across that while testing some code that detects flag changes using IDLE and I was surprised that I did not get anything from Gmail.
>>
>> Google searches suggest that's the case.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick

That implies you'd expect flag changes to be sent during other commands,
like NOOP etc? I thought Gmail never sent any unsolicited flag changes at
all - am I wrong?

From: blong@google.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:52 -0000
The RFC only says SHOULD, ie:

   Server
   implementations that offer multiple simultaneous access to the same
   mailbox SHOULD also send appropriate unilateral untagged FETCH and
   EXPUNGE responses if another agent changes the state of any message
   flags or expunges any messages

Currently, Gmail never sends unsolicited untagged FETCH responses.  This
has been documented in our help center since day one, ie:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78761?hl=en&ref_topic=3397501

This was done due to the expensive nature of providing that feature with
the capabilities our backend had.  We've been working on adding support for
this for some time, but I'm not sure when/if it will ever launch.

Brandon

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net> wrote:

> That implies you'd expect flag changes to be sent during other commands,
> like NOOP etc? I thought Gmail never sent any unsolicited flag changes at
> all - am I wrong?
>

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM, Brandon Long <blong@google.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, gmail currently only notifies of new messages and expunged messages
>> during idle.
>>
>> Brandon
>> On Jan 23, 2014 1:26 PM, "Rick Sanders" <rfs9999@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it true that Gmail does not send notification to a client which is
>>> idling on a mailbox?
>>>
>>> I ran across that while testing some code that detects flag changes
>>> using IDLE and I was surprised that I did not get anything from Gmail.
>>>
>>> Google searches suggest that's the case.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rick
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rick Sanders
>>> rfs9999@earthlink.net
>>> IMAP Tools  http://www.athensfbc.com/imap-tools

> I've played with a simple workaround for Gmail in which I
 > regularly check for flag changes when in the IDLE state,

Can you share the workaround with us?

Thanks,
Rick

From: barryleiba@computer.org
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:52 -0000
> I've also been wondering: The RFC on IMAP IDLE does not state it as a
> requirement that servers must (or even should) report flag changes when in
> the IDLE state.

That's because there isn't an IDLE "state": IDLE is a command that
continues "running", and IMAP servers are supposed to report state
changes while commands are in progress.  There's nothing special here
that's different to any other command.  If gmail fails to sent state
updates for flag changes during, say, FETCH or APPEND commands, then
they're being consistent (and wrong).  If they're doing some special
case for IDLE, then they're being peculiar (and wrong).

But there's no reason for the IDLE spec to say anything about flag
changes in particular.  Head to the base IMAP spec to see what status
updates servers should be reporting.

Barry
From: davew@hireahit.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:52 -0000
On 2014-01-24 04:17, Benny Kj?r Nielsen wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2014, at 11:50, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>
>>> On 23 Jan 2014, at 21:32, Brandon Long <blong@google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, gmail currently only notifies of new messages and expunged
>>> messages during idle.
>>
>> Can you add an IMAP capability (or can an existing one be used) so
>> that client can detect this behaviour?
>
> I second that! I've played with a simple workaround for Gmail in which
> I regularly check for flag changes when in the IDLE state, but I
> haven't enabled it because I don't like that the workaround is not
> automatically disabled when/if Gmail IDLE is improved.
>
> I've also been wondering: The RFC on IMAP IDLE does not state it as a
> requirement that servers must (or even should) report flag changes
> when in the IDLE state. Has anyone done any experiments showing
> whether or not this is a widespread IMAP server limitation (beyond
> Gmail)?

Exchange has some "quirks" when it comes to updating an IDLE client;
like Gmail, it flawlessly notifies when a new message is added to a
folder, but on the Exchange side, flag changes and even deletes are
either not sent by IDLE, or at least not done so consistently.

I've not investigated the actual IMAP implementation, but as a IMAP
user, I see folders get out of sync until I force the client to refresh
-- The only IMAP client-side code I interact with actually only cares
about new messages, so I've never taken the time to investigate further.

Speaking as a user, the lack of working IMAP IDLE is extremely
frustrating, and is a significant part of why hireahit.com is a Google
Apps domain, but we don't use Google Apps mail, and instead host mail
ourselves, so I'd appreciate a CAPABILITY flag that indicates to clients
what IDLE will and will not notify, allowing clients to resort to
polling without completely disabling IDLE for new messages.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/
From: slusarz@curecanti.org
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:52 -0000
Quoting Brandon Long <blong@google.com>:

> Currently, Gmail never sends unsolicited untagged FETCH responses.  This
> has been documented in our help center since day one, ie:
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78761?hl=en&ref_topic=3397501

On that page, shouldn't it be "unsolicited FETCH responses" instead of
"untagged FETCH responses"?  All FETCH responses are untagged, after
all.

michael
From: jkt@flaska.net
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:52 -0000
On Friday, 24 January 2014 20:16:52 CEST, Brandon Long wrote:
> This was done due to the expensive nature of providing that feature with
> the capabilities our backend had.  We've been working on adding support
for
> this for some time, but I'm not sure when/if it will ever launch.

I assume that your official Android application uses something else but
IMAP. If that is the code, does it offer a way of being informed about
changes in e.g. the read/unread status of a message?

With kind regards,
Jan

--
Trojit?, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/
From: andris.reinman@gmail.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:52 -0000
Hi,

Gmail not advertising flag updates is a real bummer. My workaround is to poll regularly using CONDSTORE like this:

a FETCH 1:* (UID FLAGS) (CHANGEDSINCE zzz)

Where zzz is the last known HIGHESTMODSEQ value.

Best regards,
Andris Reinman

From: blong@google.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:52 -0000
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Michael M Slusarz
<slusarz@curecanti.org>wrote:

> Quoting Brandon Long <blong@google.com>:
>
>  Currently, Gmail never sends unsolicited untagged FETCH responses.  This
>> has been documented in our help center since day one, ie:
>> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78761?hl=en&ref_topic=3397501
>>

> On that page, shouldn't it be "unsolicited FETCH responses" instead of
> "untagged FETCH responses"?  All FETCH responses are untagged, after all.

Yes, I feel like I've pinged them to change that a number of times, I shall
try again.

Brandon
> On Friday, 24 January 2014 20:16:52 CEST, Brandon Long wrote:
>
>> This was done due to the expensive nature of providing that feature with
>> the capabilities our backend had.  We've been working on adding support
>>
> for
>
>> this for some time, but I'm not sure when/if it will ever launch.
>>

> I assume that your official Android application uses something else but
> IMAP. If that is the code, does it offer a way of being informed about
> changes in e.g. the read/unread status of a message?

Yes, Android (and some other clients) use an internal API which is based on
a change log, but that logging didn't include IMAP specific information at
the time, and couldn't be used to implement this feature.  More recently,
we've updated that log, and its used to support CONDSTORE, and work is
under-way to use it for this feature, but that work is not yet complete.

Brandon
Is there any way to make CONDSTORE faster? We've noticed it's super slow
for large mailboxes.