From: Jeff McKay <jjmckay@comaxis.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 15:04:16 -0000
From: blong@google.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:01:49 -0000
What time frame are you seeing this in?

There's a bunch of different reasons that the server will close a
connection.  There's a maximum number of connections allowed, for example,
or if the user's primary/secondary servers flip, or if you're connected to
a secondary because the primary was down and the primary comes back, or the
primary moves for load balancing, or the servers are restarted for new
versions.  The connection also travels through at least three proxies, and
those can restart as well (though those won't say BYE). That's all
relatively rare but can cause connection closes on average daily.

If you're seeing consistent closes after an hour or 24h, that's probably
the auth refresh threshold.  I don't recall the specific time frames, and
it varies between using oauth and regular login, but basically the auth
time has a limit because we can't easily tell in some circumstances if the
auth has been revoked, so we close the connection to force a re-login to
prove you still should have access.  It's been a couple years, so I don't
recall the details.

Brandon