From: Dan Karp <dkarp@zimbra.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
We're collecting hard data to help refine an upcoming IMAP extension
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-i18n-10.txt).
If you're developing an IMAP server, it would be a *great* help if you
could take 3 minutes to answer a few questions about your server
implementation.  If you email responses back to me along with your
server's name and version, I'll compile the results.

Assume that you've just injected the following message into an empty
INBOX:

Subject: Music
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:53:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: user1@example.com
To: user2@example.com

I love M?tley Cr?e !

For each of the following SEARCH requests, would your server match the
message, not match the message, return NO [BADCHARSET], or return some
other NO or BAD response?

A001 SEARCH BODY "love"

A002 SEARCH BODY "LOVE"

A003 SEARCH CHARSET "iso-8859-1" BODY {4}
Cr?e

A004 SEARCH CHARSET "utf-8" BODY {5}
Cr??e

A005 SEARCH CHARSET "iso-8859-1" BODY {4}
CR?E
From: mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
Your test examples aren't any good, because your message is in UTF-8 but
you have texts that are claimed to be ISO 8859-1.  I will try to answer
what I *think* you intended.

If my presumptions are wrong, then I reserve the right to change my
answers.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Dan Karp wrote:
> server's name and version

UW imapd, version imap-2006 series unless noted otherwise.

> I love M?tley Cr?e !

Presumably, you mean "I love M" 0xf6 "tley Cr" 0xfc "e"

> A001 SEARCH BODY "love"

matches

> A002 SEARCH BODY "LOVE"

matches

> A003 SEARCH CHARSET "iso-8859-1" BODY {4}
> Cr?e

Presumably, you mean "Cr" 0xfc "e"

matches in all versions since imap-4.1

error in imap-4 and earlier (10+ year old US-ASCII only version)

> A004 SEARCH CHARSET "utf-8" BODY {5}
> Cr??e

Presuably, you mean "Cr" 0xc3 0xbc "e"

matches in all versions since imap-4.1

error in imap-4 and earlier (10+ year old US-ASCII only version)

> A005 SEARCH CHARSET "iso-8859-1" BODY {4}
> CR?E

Presumably, you mean "CR" 0xdc "E"

matches in imap-2006 series.

does not match in earlier versions (earlier versions did i;ascii-casemap).

error in imap-4 and earlier (10+ year old US-ASCII only version)

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc