From: Ian Anderson <iana@apple.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:50 -0000
I?ve noticed that in some systems when you send a message via SMTP, it will put a copy in the user?s Sent mailbox.  Most of them don?t however, necessitating that I do an IMAP APPEND to get the message in Sent.  Is there a good/any way to tell when the APPEND is necessary?  Right now I?m doing it all the time which is resulting in double copies in the Sent mailbox for systems that do it automatically.

Ian
I suppose this might be more likely as an SMTP response code (though I can?t find a defined one) than an IMAP capability or some such, but maybe someone on this list knows anyway?  <wishful_thinking>

Ian

On Jan 13, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Ian Anderson <iana@apple.com> wrote:

> I?ve noticed that in some systems when you send a message via SMTP, it will put a copy in the user?s Sent mailbox.  Most of them don?t however, necessitating that I do an IMAP APPEND to get the message in Sent.  Is there a good/any way to tell when the APPEND is necessary?  Right now I?m doing it all the time which is resulting in double copies in the Sent mailbox for systems that do it automatically.
>
> Ian_______________________________________________
> Imap-protocol mailing list
> Imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
> I?ve noticed that in some systems when you send a message via SMTP, it
will put a copy in the user?s Sent mailbox.  Most of them don?t however,
necessitating that I do an IMAP APPEND to get the message in Sent.  Is
there a good/any way to tell when the APPEND is necessary?  Right now I?m
doing it all the time which is resulting in double copies in the Sent
mailbox for systems that do it automatically.

No, there isn't, as far as I know. You can, on some systems, tell which is
the Sent mailbox, and you could watch it for a new message, I suppose. I
bet systems supporting special use mailboxes don't do the automatic append,
though.

On other systems, the "correct" method for sending a message is to first
append it, and then submit by BURL.

Finally, Alexey had a postaddress extension which allowed you to do the
append by using a special address during submission.

Dave.
From: brong@fastmail.fm
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:50 -0000
How often do you re-test to make sure the server is still working the same way?  If the Id response changes?

Bron (more likely to be a user or admin changing server config... it does happen)

--
  Bron Gondwana
  brong@fastmail.fm