From: Gilles LAMIRAL <gilles.lamiral@laposte.net>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
Hello imap folks,

I'm currently working on automapping folders on both sides,
for example:

Sent <-> Sent Messages

I've done the part where both sides support rfc6154, like Gmail or
Dovecot imap servers. Foe example, it simplifies Gmail to Gmail migrations
when the language is not the same on both sides, it's the case when one
side is configured by default, in English. This automapping works
fine.

But not all imap server softwares support rfc6154. So I add also an
automap hardcoded when one side or both don't support special folders
as described in rfc6154.

This way it will minimize headaches of  playing with manual mapping
(--regextrans2 imapsync option) in most of the cases.
Email sysadmins for many different languages should appreciate.

I need a list of common folders names used for special folders
described in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6154

I start with:

\All     => "All" "All Mail"

\Archive => "Archive"

\Drafts  => "Drafts"

\Flagged => "Flagged" "Starred"

\Junk    => "Junk" "Spam"

\Sent    => "Sent" "Sent Messages" "Sent Items"

\Trash   => "Trash"

Any comment or suggestion will be appreciated.
English, German, Italian, Spanish, French or any language are welcome!

I don't know what are the imap server softwares supporting rfc6154.
Exchange, Zimbra, Office365 aren't seem to support it.

PS: If there is a better place to talk about this feature, just tell
me, I will switch the discussion there.

Thanks in advance.

--
Au revoir,                             09 51 84 42 42
Gilles Lamiral. France, Baulon (35580) 06 20 79 76 06
From: Neil_Hunsperger@symantec.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
Hi Gilles,

> From: Imap-protocol [mailto:imap-protocol-
> bounces@mailman13.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of Gilles LAMIRAL

> I need a list of common folders names used for special folders
> described in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6154

> Any comment or suggestion will be appreciated.
> English, German, Italian, Spanish, French or any language are welcome!

The case-insensitive names I've seen for the sent folder are:
SENT
SENT ITEMS
SENT MESSAGES
GESENDETE ELEMENTE
GESENDETE OBJEKTE
????????

This covers English, German, and Japanese versions of:
Outlook Express
Outlook 2003
Outlook 2007
Windows Mail
Thunderbird 2.x
Apple Mail 3.x

French language testing of the current versions of that software a few years later added:
?l?ments envoy?s
Envoy?

Similarly, Spanish language testing added:
Elementos enviados

If this weren't complicated enough, many versions of Outlook prompt the user to type their own sent folder name when turning on server-side copies.

Cheers,
-Neil
From: gilles.lamiral@laposte.net
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
Hi Neil,

>> I need a list of common folders names used for special folders
>> described in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6154
>
> The case-insensitive names I've seen for the sent folder are:
> SENT
> SENT ITEMS

Ok. Do you really encountered different cases writings or all are in
fact only uppercase for the first characters like in "Sent Messages"?

I want to be sure I have to support case-insensitive search.

> ????????

Ok, you I think you mean &kAFP4W4IMH8wojCkMMYw4A-

> This covers English, German, and Japanese versions of:
> Outlook *.*, Thunderbird 2.x, Apple Mail 3.x

Looks like 95% of the market is now covered! Thanks!

> French language testing of the current versions of that software a few years later added:
> ?l?ments envoy?s
> Envoy?
>
> Similarly, Spanish language testing added:
> Elementos enviados

Very good!
Any Russian or Portuguese in the room?
We'll be near 99% coverage.

> If this weren't complicated enough, many versions of Outlook prompt the user to type
>their own sent folder name when turning on server-side copies.

This is the 1% I don't care for now. I'll send the idea of then supporting
rfc6154 in that case to Microsoft.

Asking the user to choose something else that what is known
to work well without question, is perversion.
Asking the user to solve something known to work bad
is incompetence.

From: Neil_Hunsperger@symantec.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
Hi Gilles,

> Ok. Do you really encountered different cases writings or all are in
> fact only uppercase for the first characters like in "Sent Messages"?

Looking back at the earliest notes I can find, I see only initial capitals for English folder names like "Sent Items" and not "Sent items" or "SENT ITEMS". French and Spanish used lower case second words. I can't find a record of the original capitalization of the two German versions.

> > ????????
>
> Ok, you I think you mean &kAFP4W4IMH8wojCkMMYw4A-

These were converted from mod UTF-7 back to Unicode before being recorded.

Cheers,
-Neil
From: gilles.lamiral@laposte.net
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
Hi Neil,

> Looking back at the earliest notes I can find, I see only initial capitals
>for English folder names like "Sent Items" and not "Sent items" or "SENT ITEMS".
>French and Spanish used lower case second words.

Ok, good. I keep my current code.

>I can't find a record of the original capitalization of the two German versions.

No problem, it will be a bugfix later, Germans use imapsync a lot.
Or better I search on the web right now. I find:
"Gesendete Objekte" hie?t es in Outlook 2007.
"Gesendete Elemente" hei?t es in Outlook 2010.

So far so good.

>>> ????????
>>
>> Ok, you I think you mean &kAFP4W4IMH8wojCkMMYw4A-
>
> These were converted from mod UTF-7 back to Unicode before being recorded.

Yes. It was a joke, both are all Greek to me.