From: David Harris <David.Harris@pmail.gen.nz>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
As I mentioned last week, I'm in the process of replacing my existing MIME parser.

I'm putting together a commandline version of this parser that spits out a full MIME
parse including all IMAP-specific parts and part numbers, offsets, and octet and line
counts. I propose to make this application publicly available in the hope that it might
assist new IMAP developers to come to terms with the way MIME and IMAP
interact with each other, particularly in regard to part numbering.

I have a library of over a million mail messages I can use to test it out, but if you
have a few interesting boundary-case messages, or hugely complex messages that
you would be willing to share with me for testing purposes only, I'd be glad to
receive them (although please be aware that I run my mail server with a 4MB per
message limit). Please zip them if possible.

I have the bulk of the process sorted out, but would be grateful for quick
confirmation of two points:

1:  In IMAP terms, for a part that is of type MESSAGE/RFC822 and which is not
itself multipart, "<partnum>.TEXT" and "<partnum>.1" should yield the same data
when fetched.

2: For a non-multipart message of any type, a request to fetch part "1.MIME" should
synthesize a return containing all headers starting with "Content-" from the
message's headers and terminate them with a CRLF.

For point (2), are there any other headers I should be including in the synthesis?

Cheers!

-- David --

------------------ David Harris -+- Pegasus Mail ----------------------
Box 5451, Dunedin, New Zealand | e-mail: David.Harris@pmail.gen.nz
           Phone: +64 3 453-6880 | Fax: +64 3 453-6612

Newspaper misprints from around the world:
    "After the boat had been secured above the wrecked galleon the
    apparatus was set in motion by the captain's 18-year old daughter,
    Veronica. Within an hour, she was yielding her treasure to the
    excited crew."
From: Pidgeot18@verizon.net
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
On 7/16/2015 10:50 PM, David Harris wrote:
> As I mentioned last week, I'm in the process of replacing my existing MIME parser.
>
> I'm putting together a commandline version of this parser that spits out a full MIME
> parse including all IMAP-specific parts and part numbers, offsets, and octet and line
> counts. I propose to make this application publicly available in the hope that it might
> assist new IMAP developers to come to terms with the way MIME and IMAP
> interact with each other, particularly in regard to part numbering.
>
> I have a library of over a million mail messages I can use to test it out, but if you
> have a few interesting boundary-case messages, or hugely complex messages that
> you would be willing to share with me for testing purposes only, I'd be glad to
> receive them (although please be aware that I run my mail server with a 4MB per
> message limit). Please zip them if possible.

Several years ago, I tested a message where the body was a
message/rfc822 part. On four different IMAP servers, I got four
different results for the part numbering. I don't have an actual copy of
it as an evil message, but it is an evil edge case worth considering.

It's also worth considering as potential edge cases TNEF, uuencode,
message/news, message/global.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
From: imap@maclean.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:55 -0000
I have a command-line version of my parser.  I'll send you a copy in
case you would care to make some comparisons.  I may also be able to
find a few challenging messages.

Pete Maclean