From: Jan Kundrát <jkt@flaska.net>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:49 -0000
Hi,
I'm writing some test cases for my RFC2047 decoder. It is used only for
decoding of data which come from IMAP's ENVELOPE fetch item, so it
doesn't deal with stuff like comments.

What's the correct decoding of "Domen =?UTF-8?Q?Ko=C5=BEar?=" -- is the
space found after "Domen" in the input to be included in the decoded
output? This is a real example of what Evolution 2.30.2 produces (my
apologies to Domen for bringing the attention to his mail). Thunderbird
renders that as two words separated by space.

I'm asking because an example in the RFC says that this:
	"(=?ISO-8859-1?Q?a?= b)"
shall decode into "(ab)". There's no example for the other order of
elements.

Cheers,
Jan

--
Trojita, a fast e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/
From: dkarp@zimbra.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:49 -0000
> What's the correct decoding of "Domen =?UTF-8?Q?Ko=C5=BEar?=" -- is
> the space found after "Domen" in the input to be included in the
> decoded output? This is a real example of what Evolution 2.30.2
> produces (my apologies to Domen for bringing the attention to his
> mail). Thunderbird renders that as two words separated by space.
>
> I'm asking because an example in the RFC says that this:
> 	"(=?ISO-8859-1?Q?a?= b)"
> shall decode into "(ab)". There's no example for the other order of
> elements.

You've got a bad copy of RFC 2047.  The example actually reads

   encoded form                                displayed as
   (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?a?= b)                      (a b)

           Within a 'comment', white space MUST appear between an
           'encoded-word' and surrounding text.  [Section 5,
           paragraph (2)].  However, white space is not needed between
           the initial "(" that begins the 'comment', and the
           'encoded-word'.

- Dan
From: jkt@flaska.net
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:49 -0000
On 10/28/12 23:43, Dan Karp wrote:
> You've got a bad copy of RFC 2047

Er, well, you're right. It's too late here. Thanks for correcting me.

With kind regards,
Jan

--
Trojita, a fast e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/