From: Greg Banks <gnb@fastmail.fm>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:46 -0000
G'day,

I'm trying to write a test for a server's implementation of the
GETMETADATA command (RFC5464) when used with the /private/specialuse
entry (RFC6154), and I can't quite figure out from either RFC what is
the correct behaviour of the server when given a GETMETADATA command for
such an entry whose current value is NIL.  I can see three possibilities:

a) error

C: t1 GETMETADATA "FolderName" /private/specialuse
S: t1 NO metadata for you sonny

b) OK, but no METADATA responses

C: t1 GETMETADATA "FolderName" /private/specialuse
S: t1 OK done

c) OK, and a METADATA response with an explicit NIL

C: t1 GETMETADATA "FolderName" /private/specialuse
S: * METADATA "FolderName" (/private/specialuse NIL)
S: t1 OK done

Can I get some clarification?

--
Greg.