From: Thomas Dressler <thomas.dressler@1und1.de>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
hi,

i have an LSUB/LIST question.

rfc-3501(6.3.8) sayes about:
tag LIST "" ""
that the server should return the "hierarchy delimiter"

example:

C: A101 LIST "" ""
S: * LIST (\Noselect) "/" ""
S: A101 OK LIST Completed

is it also true for LSUB? the rfc sayes:

"The arguments to LSUB are in the same form as those for LIST."

i ask because some Clients send us commands like
tag lsub "" ""
what is the correct response?

cyrus behavior:
C: a LIST "" ""
S: * LIST (\Noselect) "." ""
S: a OK Completed (0.000 secs 0 calls)
C: b LSUB "" ""
C: b OK Completed (0.000 secs 1 calls)
is it correct?

bye
ThomasD

--
Thomas Dre?ler        Entwicklung                      thomas.dressler@1und1.de
Bei 1&1 Internet AG   Karlsruhe-Brauerstr. 48          D-76135 Karlsruhe

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss
From: alexey.melnikov@isode.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
Thomas Dressler wrote:

> hi,

Hi Thomas,

> i have an LSUB/LIST question.
>
> rfc-3501(6.3.8) sayes about:
> tag LIST "" ""
> that the server should return the "hierarchy delimiter"
>
> example:
>
> C: A101 LIST "" ""
> S: * LIST (\Noselect) "/" ""
> S: A101 OK LIST Completed

Correct.

> is it also true for LSUB? the rfc sayes:
>
> "The arguments to LSUB are in the same form as those for LIST."

Good question. My personal opinion is that it makes no sense to call
LSUB "" "".

From: tss@iki.fi
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 10:22 +0100, Thomas Dressler wrote:
> C: b LSUB "" ""
> C: b OK Completed (0.000 secs 1 calls)
> is it correct?

The only server I know of that returns something else to this command is
Courier (which does lots of other things wrong too).

From: markrcrispin@panda.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> My personal opinion is that it makes no sense to call LSUB "" "".

That is my personal opinion as

>> i ask because some Clients send us commands like
>> tag lsub "" ""
>> what is the correct response?

Other than telling the user that his client is defective by design?

This abuse of LSUB (which really is only useful for maintaining USENET
news subscriptions) all started because of a certain cretin at Netscape
~15 years ago.  Microsoft copied the idiocy, and it persists to this day.

Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
From: tss@iki.fi
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 10:11 -0800, Mark Crispin wrote:
> This abuse of LSUB (which really is only useful for maintaining USENET
> news subscriptions) all started because of a certain cretin at Netscape
> ~15 years ago.  Microsoft copied the idiocy, and it persists to this day.

The main reason why I use subscriptions is to hide these mailboxes that
are forcibly created by some clients, such as "Apple Mail To Do" or
"Trash" which I really don't care to see (or use even in the clients
that create them). Wonder if it would be useful in future to be able to
mark some of these mailboxes as "internal to the client" and perhaps not
list them even with LIST.

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> The main reason why I use subscriptions is to hide these mailboxes that
> are forcibly created by some clients, such as "Apple Mail To Do" or
> "Trash" which I really don't care to see (or use even in the clients
> that create them). Wonder if it would be useful in future to be able to
> mark some of these mailboxes as "internal to the client" and perhaps not
> list them even with LIST.

It can be argued that the very existance of such mailboxes is an
abomination.

I have come to believe that allowing multiple mailboxes in IMAP, as
opposed to promoting keywords, was a mistake.  Note that this is,
effectively, what Gmail does.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc