From: Jan Kundrát <jkt@gentoo.org>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:41 -0000
Hi,
when debugging my IMAP parser, I wanted to test my timezone parsing.
According to RFC3501, the INTERNALDATE parameter should be "immutable",
but it seems that with two IMAP server implementations I tested (dovecot
using maildir and uw-imapd using mbox), it isn't preserved literally. In
my test, my parser launches IMAP server directly (and talks to it
through pipes), so the IMAP process inherits its timezone settings.

uw-imapd, mbox, TZ=Europe/Prague (+0100):
* 1 FETCH (INTERNALDATE "20-Mar-2005 11:12:55 +0100")

uw-imapd, mbox, TZ=US/Central (-0600)
* 1 FETCH (INTERNALDATE "20-Mar-2005 11:12:55 -0600")

dovecot (another data), maildir, TZ=Europe/Prague
* 1 FETCH (INTERNALDATE "03-Mar-2007 15:02:36 +0100")

dovecot, maildir, TZ=US/Central:
* 1 FETCH (INTERNALDATE "03-Mar-2007 08:02:36 -0600")

I realize this is kind of artificial problem (server administrators
don't change their timezone settings every day), but I'd like to ask if
this is correct behavior.

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

> when debugging my IMAP parser, I wanted to test my timezone parsing.
> According to RFC3501, the INTERNALDATE parameter should be "immutable",
> but it seems that with two IMAP server implementations I tested (dovecot
> using maildir and uw-imapd using mbox), it isn't preserved literally.

The problem with mbox is that some forms of the mbox format internal
header does not include timezone information.  Thus, the timezone has to
be inferred from the "local time zone", hence causing your seeming
discrepancy since you're running imapd with different "local time zones".

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.