From: Ken Murchison <murch@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
I don't want to start another holy over whether we need to drop RENAME,
but I have a couple of questions regarding the intended/expected
behavior of RENAME Inbox.

- I assume that \Seen state should follow the messages, just like any
other RENAME, correct?

- Should mailbox annotations be copied or moved to the new mailbox?

- Should the UIDVALIDITY, UIDNEXT, HIGHESTMODESEQ, etc of the Inbox be
reset?  In other words, should Inbox look like it has been freshly CREATEd?

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer
From: mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Ken Murchison wrote:
> I don't want to start another holy over whether we need to drop RENAME, but I
> have a couple of questions regarding the intended/expected behavior of RENAME
> Inbox.

If IMAP5 ever happens, I will insist that RENAME is dropped.  Nobody
implements it correctly.

> - I assume that \Seen state should follow the messages, just like any other
> RENAME, correct?

I think so.

> - Should mailbox annotations be copied or moved to the new mailbox?

I think that they move with the mailbox.

> - Should the UIDVALIDITY, UIDNEXT, HIGHESTMODESEQ, etc of the Inbox be reset?
> In other words, should Inbox look like it has been freshly CREATEd?

I think so, since a freshly-CREATEd INBOX is the intended effect.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
From: murch@andrew.cmu.edu
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
Mark Crispin wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Ken Murchison wrote:
>> I don't want to start another holy over whether we need to drop
>> RENAME, but I have a couple of questions regarding the
>> intended/expected behavior of RENAME Inbox.
>
> If IMAP5 ever happens, I will insist that RENAME is dropped.  Nobody
> implements it correctly.
>
>> - I assume that \Seen state should follow the messages, just like any
>> other RENAME, correct?
>
> I think so.
>
>> - Should mailbox annotations be copied or moved to the new mailbox?
>
> I think that they move with the mailbox.
>
>> - Should the UIDVALIDITY, UIDNEXT, HIGHESTMODESEQ, etc of the Inbox be
>> reset?
>> In other words, should Inbox look like it has been freshly CREATEd?
>
> I think so, since a freshly-CREATEd INBOX is the intended effect.

Is there any problem if the UIDVALIDITY, UIDNEXT, HIGHESTMODSEQ, aren't
reset?  Will mainstream clients have a problem one way or the other?

From: mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Is there any problem if the UIDVALIDITY, UIDNEXT, HIGHESTMODSEQ, aren't
> reset?  Will mainstream clients have a problem one way or the other?

I don't see how any client could possibly care.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc