From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@sun.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
Is the last untagged LIST response below valid?

A2 LIST "" "%"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Drafts
* LIST (\Marked \HasChildren) "/" INBOX
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Sent Items"
* LIST (\Noselect) "/" "Public Folders/"
A2 OK LIST completed.

The spec seems to say that "%" does *not* match hierarchy
characters, so the last response doesn't seem to match the
pattern.  Is there some subtlety in the spec that makes this
valid?

If it is valid, how should the trailing hierarchy character
be interpreted?  Does it imply that names within this folder
should be of the form "Public Folders//foo"?  Or does this
need to be handled as a special case?

Thanks.

	Bill
From: MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Bill Shannon wrote:
> Is the last untagged LIST response below valid?
> A2 LIST "" "%"
>[snip]
> * LIST (\Noselect) "/" "Public Folders/"
> A2 OK LIST completed.

I would say "no".

UW imapd can return such a LIST result, but only from a pattern ending
with "/%".  For example:

 	tag list "" barter/%
 	* LIST (\NoSelect) "/" barter/
 	* LIST (\NoInferiors \Marked) "/" barter/fred
 	* LIST (\NoInferiors \Marked) "/" barter/joe
 	* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" barter/pete
 	tag OK LIST completed

This is because % is defined to match zero or more characters.

My guess is that the author of server that did the bad thing did empirical
testing of UW imapd and misinterpreted what s/he saw.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
From: bill.shannon@sun.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
Mark Crispin wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Bill Shannon wrote:
>> Is the last untagged LIST response below valid?
>> A2 LIST "" "%"
>> [snip]
>> * LIST (\Noselect) "/" "Public Folders/"
>> A2 OK LIST completed.
>
> I would say "no".

Ok, good, that's what I thought.

> UW imapd can return such a LIST result, but only from a pattern ending
> with "/%".  For example:
>
>     tag list "" barter/%
>     * LIST (\NoSelect) "/" barter/
>     * LIST (\NoInferiors \Marked) "/" barter/fred
>     * LIST (\NoInferiors \Marked) "/" barter/joe
>     * LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" barter/pete
>     tag OK LIST completed
>
> This is because % is defined to match zero or more characters.

Which I understand, and I handle that case.

> My guess is that the author of server that did the bad thing did
> empirical testing of UW imapd and misinterpreted what s/he saw.

It seems like quite a leap from what UW imapd does to this.

I think it's more likely because "Public Folders/" is a namespace,
which as I previously learned is a reasonable response to the
NAMESPACE command.  It just doesn't make sense here.

Looks like time for another bug workaround...