From: Adrian Buciuman <adibuciuman@gmail.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
Hi,

Can an IMAP server send a BAD before the client finished sending the command?

The attached ethereal capture contains this example:

C: "zxc select inbox "
S: "zxc BAD Unexpected extra arguments to Select\r\n"
C: "\r\n"                         /* client finshed sending zxc */
C: "vbn copy a"
C: " "
S: "vbn BAD Invalid sequence in Copy\r\n"
C: "\r\n"
C: "qwe dhsads "
S: "qwe BAD Unrecognized command\r\n"
C: "gfhg"
C: "\r\n"     /* client finished sending qwe */

Thanks,

Adrian Buciuman
From: arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
Adrian Buciuman writes:
> Can an IMAP server send a BAD before the client finished sending the command?

Yes.

In principle, a BAD results when there _isn't_ a recognizable command.
You can't ask the server to wait until the end of something it doesn't
recognize.

Arnt
From: tjs@psaux.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
Adrian Buciuman wrote:
> Can an IMAP server send a BAD before the client finished sending the command?

For what it's worth, Cyrus has never bothered to wait for CRLF before
sending command responses in a failure case like this.  It's never been
a problem (except, occasionally, when telnetting to the server from a
client that doesn't support tty-style line editing).

Tim
From: adibuciuman@gmail.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
On 4/4/06, Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no> wrote:
> You can't ask the server to wait until the end of something it doesn't
> recognize.

Why not? I belive it can wait until a LF is received from the client.
From: MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Adrian Buciuman wrote:
> > On 4/4/06, Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no> wrote:
> > You can't ask the server to wait until the end of something it doesn't
> > recognize.
> Why not? I belive it can wait until a LF is received from the client.

Nothing in the IMAP protocol requires the server to do so.  Most servers
probably do, especially if they implement the LITERAL+ extension.

However, your client should not care.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
From: arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
Adrian Buciuman writes:
> On 4/4/06, Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no> wrote:
>>  You can't ask the server to wait until the end of something it
>>  doesn't recognize.
>
> Why not? I belive it can wait until a LF is received from the client.

(CRLF ends a line, not a command. A command can be much longer than one line.)

There's nothing to be gained (as far as I can imagine) from requiring
the server to do that. It wouldn't help anyone access their mail
better/faster/etc. Therefore, it would be a bad requirement.

Arnt