From: Michael Barker <mbarker@buni.org>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:38 -0000
Hi,

This is my first post to the imap protocol list.  I am currently involed
in building an IMAP server as part of a groupware suite (www.buni.org).

I have a question regarding the fetch body command.  If we consider the
mime structure from rfc 3501 (below), what is the appropriate response
to the following command:

1a fetch 1 BODY[4]

Is it an empty string, nil or the content of all of the child mime
parts.

Regards,
Michael Barker.

HEADER     ([RFC-2822] header of the message)
TEXT       ([RFC-2822] text body of the message) MULTIPART/MIXED
1          TEXT/PLAIN
2          APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM
3          MESSAGE/RFC822
3.HEADER   ([RFC-2822] header of the message)
3.TEXT     ([RFC-2822] text body of the message) MULTIPART/MIXED
3.1        TEXT/PLAIN
3.2        APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM
4          MULTIPART/MIXED
4.1        IMAGE/GIF
4.1.MIME   ([MIME-IMB] header for the IMAGE/GIF)
4.2        MESSAGE/RFC822
4.2.HEADER ([RFC-2822] header of the message)
4.2.TEXT   ([RFC-2822] text body of the message) MULTIPART/MIXED
4.2.1      TEXT/PLAIN
4.2.2      MULTIPART/ALTERNATIVE
4.2.2.1    TEXT/PLAIN
4.2.2.2    TEXT/RICHTEXT
From: ams@oryx.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:38 -0000
At 2007-01-14 04:33:51 -0600, mbarker@buni.org wrote:

> I have a question regarding the fetch body command.  If we consider the
> mime structure from rfc 3501 (below), what is the appropriate response
> to the following command:
>
> 1a fetch 1 BODY[4]
>
> Is it an empty string, nil or the content of all of the child mime
> parts.

The content of all the child MIME parts.

-- ams