From: Dan Karp <dkarp@zimbra.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:42 -0000
> I tried to send "+ OK\r\n" periodically to client before real data
> preparing, and this method is helpful for some mail clients. For
> example:
>
> C: f fetch 1 (body[])
> S: + OK // server send "+ OK\r\n" by timer while downloading full
> message
> S: + OK
> S: + OK
> S: * 1 FETCH (BODY[] {9876543} ....
>
> but I think this way is not correct.
>
> Is any IMAP protocol feature to simulate message downloading, to
> prevent client thinking about timeout?

Sending responses starting with "+" is almost certainly wrong.

   Command continuation request responses use the token "+" instead of a
   tag.  These responses are sent by the server to indicate acceptance
   of an incomplete client command and readiness for the remainder of
   the command.

You could probably send something like "* OK working" or "* NOOP".