From: Timo Sirainen <tss@iki.fi>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:47 -0000
I'm again cleaning up my LIST handling code and started wondering. Lets
say I have a mailbox:

a list "" s*
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "select"
a OK List completed.

Now, is it correct to reply with b) or with c)?

b list "" select/*
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "select/"
b OK List completed.

c list "" select/*
* LIST (\Noselect \HasNoChildren) "/" "select/"
c OK List completed.

I'm leaning towards c), because while "select" is a selectable mailbox,
"select/" isn't.

(Then again, I remember some clients having had some trouble with this
reply, so maybe I'll need to return b) anyway.)
From: mrc+imap@panda.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:47 -0000
You can solve the conundrum by making "select/" be selectable.

Just sayin'.

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I'm again cleaning up my LIST handling code and started wondering. Lets
> say I have a mailbox:
>
> a list "" s*
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "select"
> a OK List completed.
>
> Now, is it correct to reply with b) or with c)?
>
> b list "" select/*
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "select/"
> b OK List completed.
>
> c list "" select/*
> * LIST (\Noselect \HasNoChildren) "/" "select/"
> c OK List completed.
>
> I'm leaning towards c), because while "select" is a selectable mailbox,
> "select/" isn't.
>
> (Then again, I remember some clients having had some trouble with this
> reply, so maybe I'll need to return b) anyway.)

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
From: tss@iki.fi
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:47 -0000
On Fri, 2011-12-09 at 21:25 -0800, Mark Crispin wrote:

> You can solve the conundrum by making "select/" be selectable.

I worry about potential security and other problems if that is done. For
example if there's an ACL for "select", it would also have to match
"select/". And with SPECIAL-USE if there's a \Trash attribute for
"Trash", it would probably also have to be returned for "Trash/". And
probably all kinds of other little things that aren't immediately
obvious.

Maybe most of the problems could be avoided by translating "select/"
into "select" in the IMAP layer (and back when needed), but that's quite
a lot of extra code just for handling something that I don't think
clients should be doing anyway.