From: Dan Karp <dkarp@zimbra.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:40 -0000
We've always gone on the assumption that you should be able to ask for STATUS on any mailbox returned in a LIST response.  The new Gmail IMAP implementation doesn't seem to play that way -- they have a base \NoSelect mailbox that's returned from LIST but that returns NO on STATUS:

   A3 LIST "" "*"
   * LIST () "/" "INBOX"
   * LIST () "/" "Trash"
   * LIST (\Noselect) "/" "[Gmail]"
   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/All Mail"
   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Drafts"
   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Sent Mail"
   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Spam"
   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Starred"
   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Trash"
   A3 OK Success

   A6 STATUS [Gmail] (UIDVALIDITY)
   A6 NO Invalid folder: [Gmail] (Failure)

Is this acceptable server behavior?
From: mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:40 -0000
UW imapd has always returned NO if you attempt a STATUS command on a
\NoSelect name.  Thus, I consider such behavior acceptable and correct.

The idea of "\NoSelect mailbox" is the problem; that's an oxymoron.
IMHO, a mailbox, by definition, does not have \NoSelect associated with
its name.

Following that reasoning, LIST does not return mailboxes, but instead
returns names; and that the names that do not have \NoSelect are
mailboxes.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Dan Karp wrote:
> We've always gone on the assumption that you should be able to ask for
> STATUS on any mailbox returned in a LIST response.  The new Gmail IMAP
> implementation doesn't seem to play that way -- they have a base
> \NoSelect mailbox that's returned from LIST but that returns NO on
> STATUS:
>
>   A3 LIST "" "*"
>   * LIST () "/" "INBOX"
>   * LIST () "/" "Trash"
>   * LIST (\Noselect) "/" "[Gmail]"
>   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/All Mail"
>   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Drafts"
>   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Sent Mail"
>   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Spam"
>   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Starred"
>   * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Trash"
>   A3 OK Success
>
>   A6 STATUS [Gmail] (UIDVALIDITY)
>   A6 NO Invalid folder: [Gmail] (Failure)
>
> Is this acceptable server behavior?

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
From: dave@cridland.net
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:40 -0000
On Wed Oct 24 13:34:05 2007, Dan Karp wrote:
> We've always gone on the assumption that you should be able to ask
> for STATUS on any mailbox returned in a LIST response.  The new
> Gmail IMAP implementation doesn't seem to play that way -- they
> have a base \NoSelect mailbox that's returned from LIST but that
> returns NO on STATUS:

I'm in agreement with Mark, but I would point out that in this case,
GMail is behaving badly:

>    A3 LIST "" "*"
>    * LIST () "/" "INBOX"
>    * LIST () "/" "Trash"
>    * LIST (\Noselect) "/" "[Gmail]"
>    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/All Mail"
>    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Drafts"
>    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Sent Mail"
>    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Spam"
>    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Starred"
>    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Trash"
>    A3 OK Success

That [Gmail] heirarchy point shouldn't be listed here - as Mark says,
it's not a mailbox, therefore shouldn't match.

It should be returned for LIST "" "%", but not LIST "" "*".

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@cridland.net - xmpp:dwd@jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
From: dkarp@zimbra.com
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:40 -0000
> I'm in agreement with Mark, but I would point out that in this case,
> GMail is behaving badly:
>
> >    A3 LIST "" "*"
> >    * LIST () "/" "INBOX"
> >    * LIST () "/" "Trash"
> >    * LIST (\Noselect) "/" "[Gmail]"
> >    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/All Mail"
> >    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Drafts"
> >    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Sent Mail"
> >    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Spam"
> >    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Starred"
> >    * LIST () "/" "[Gmail]/Trash"
> >    A3 OK Success
>
> That [Gmail] heirarchy point shouldn't be listed here - as Mark says,
> it's not a mailbox, therefore shouldn't match.
>
> It should be returned for LIST "" "%", but not LIST "" "*".

Why?  RFC 3501 section 6.3.4 has the following example:

   Examples:   C: A682 LIST "" *
               S: * LIST () "/" blurdybloop
               S: * LIST (\Noselect) "/" foo
               S: * LIST () "/" foo/bar
From: mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:40 -0000
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Dave Cridland wrote:
> That [Gmail] heirarchy point shouldn't be listed here - as Mark says, it's
> not a mailbox, therefore shouldn't match.
>
> It should be returned for LIST "" "%", but not LIST "" "*".

I disagree.  It depends upon the semantics of the underlying mail store.

In some mail stores, such as Cyrus, there is no such physical object as a
"directory" (which is typically what a \NoSelect name is); that is, a
bucket that holds mailboxes and other directories.  In others, such as the
ones typically exported by UW, there is such a physical object.

IMAP does NOT, repeat NOT!! dictate the semantics of the server's mail
store; rather, it provides a means to export the mail store's semantics.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc