From: Timo Sirainen <tss@iki.fi>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:41 -0000
I guess nothing in IMAP protocol requires this to be done either way,
but does someone think there's any point in allowing:

RENAME box box/child/box

I was thinking about disallowing this, because users can accidentally
cause this with some clients (drag and dropping) and the client somehow
breaks afterwards.

From: MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:41 -0000
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I guess nothing in IMAP protocol requires this to be done either way,
> but does someone think there's any point in allowing:
> RENAME box box/child/box

UW imapd does not allow this.  You have to first rename box to something
else, then rename it to box/child/box.

Nobody has ever complained.  Your suggestion that dragging and dropping
can cause this to happen by accident and break clients seems to me to be a
pretty compelling reason not to do it.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.