From: Dan Karp <dkarp@zimbra.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
From: dave@cridland.net
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
On Fri Mar 30 07:34:20 2007, Dan Karp wrote:
> When a client uses LITERAL+ and specifies a literal length larger
> than the server is prepared to accept, what options does the server
> have?  Anything other than dropping the connection or reading and
> discarding the entire literal?

Those are your options. Most people tend toward killing the
connection for large literals, especially outside of an APPEND
command.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@cridland.net - xmpp:dwd@jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
From: mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Dan Karp wrote:
> When a client uses LITERAL+ and specifies a literal length larger than
> the server is prepared to accept, what options does the server have?
> Anything other than dropping the connection or reading and discarding
> the entire literal?

Those are the options.  It is for that reason that I don't use LITERAL+ in
my client code, although I implement it in my server code.  IMHO, multiple
APPEND is the case where the optimizing RTTs in literals is important, and
MULTIAPPEND does a better job at that.  You can do both MULTIAPPEND and
LITERAL+ in a multiple APPEND, but I suspect that most people do not.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
From: tss@iki.fi
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:39 -0000
On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 10:38 +0100, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Fri Mar 30 07:34:20 2007, Dan Karp wrote:
> > When a client uses LITERAL+ and specifies a literal length larger
> > than the server is prepared to accept, what options does the server
> > have?  Anything other than dropping the connection or reading and
> > discarding the entire literal?
>
> Those are your options. Most people tend toward killing the
> connection for large literals, especially outside of an APPEND
> command.

In APPEND command it's probably a bad idea to disconnect, because client
could just try retrying it forever. My server replies immediately with
NO if the size exceeds quota, but then it just goes on and reads the
input if the client still sends it. Elsewhere my server disconnects and
sends:

* BYE Literal size too large