From: Timo Sirainen <tss@iki.fi>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
Is there interest in creating a SEARCH extension which allows the server
to be less strict in which results it shows, making it better for
user-made searches? For example the searched word could be found in a
bit different form.

The results could also show some relevancy percentage and also a string
highlighting the searched words (because they're not necessarily the
exact search keys).

> The results could also show some relevancy percentage and also a
> string
> highlighting the searched words (because they're not necessarily the
> exact search keys).

There's at least some curiosity from me.

I'm particularly curious as to how Mark's SCAN extension might look
if taken in this direction. (Mark, do you have a specification for
SCAN as-is?)

Dave.
--
           You see things; and you say "Why?"
    - George Bernard Shaw
From: mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Dave Cridland wrote:
> I'm particularly curious as to how Mark's SCAN extension might look if taken
> in this direction. (Mark, do you have a specification for SCAN as-is?)

SCAN is nothing more than a LIST with a third argument that filters out
any files that do not contain the string.  It doesn't even try to do any
mailbox handling.  It was, and remains, a kludge to answer the people who
wanted an equivalent to fgrep for a string in a mailbox file.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc