From: Richard Bang <richard@ftgate.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
Hi,

I've been reworking my folder handling to allow for UTF-16 mail store names and I've come across a problem in the interaction between my server and Pine.

I have a mail store that looks like this
/inbox
/folder1
/folder2
/folder2/folder3

Pine sends the query
LIST INBOX %

Given the above folder list what would be the correct response?

I believe it should be
x OK List Completed

without any stores listed because there are none that match. However, at this point Pine stops looking for folders and doesn't list any.

Regards

Richard (http://www.ftgate.com)
From: mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
Also, what are "UTF-16 mail store names"?!?

UTF-16 is certainly not permitted in an IMAP mailbox name!  Currently,
only modified UTF-7 is permitted for internationalized names, although in
the future there is an attempt to relax the restriction that precludes
UTF-8 mailbox names.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
From: arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
Mark Crispin writes:
> Are you saying that your mail store does not have INBOX?  /inbox is
> not equivalent to INBOX.

Hm?

On cyrus, user.arnt is equivalent to INBOX. On uw, /var/spool/mail/arnt
is equivalent to INBOX. The only thing I can see about /inbox that's
different from those two is that it contains 'inbox' as a level of
hierarchy, but is that forbidden?

Artn
From: arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
Mark Crispin writes:
> Are you saying that your mail store does not have INBOX?  /inbox is
> not equivalent to INBOX.
>
> Or are you saying that your mail store has INBOX, but does not respond
> with any data to the command
>        tag LIST INBOX %
> If so, it should; that command matches INBOX.

RFC 3501, page 41, says this on the subject:

            If the reference argument is not a level of mailbox
            hierarchy (that is, it is a \NoInferiors name), and/or
            the reference argument does not end with the hierarchy
            delimiter, it is implementation-dependent how this is
            interpreted.  For example, a reference of "foo/bar" and
            mailbox name of "rag/baz" could be interpreted as
            "foo/bar/rag/baz", "foo/barrag/baz", or "foo/rag/baz".

Pine's reference name does not end with a hierarchy separator and
Richard's server's empty response fits two of the three explicitly
sanctioned possibilities. Sounds OK to me.

As for pine, it is a client and page 41 continues:

            A client SHOULD NOT use such a reference argument except
            at the explicit request of the user.

(I'll reply to your other email later.)

Arnt
From: mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> Mark Crispin writes:
>> Are you saying that your mail store does not have INBOX?  /inbox is not
>> equivalent to INBOX.
> On cyrus, user.arnt is equivalent to INBOX. On uw, /var/spool/mail/arnt is
> equivalent to INBOX.

No, they are not equivalent.  These are names which may access the same
data in certain configurations of certain implementations, but they are
not INBOX.  INBOX has a special meaning in IMAP.

[Incidentally, /var/spool/mail/mrc does not access my INBOX on any
installation of UW imapd that I use.]

> The only thing I can see about /inbox that's different
> from those two is that it contains 'inbox' as a level of hierarchy, but is
> that forbidden?

/inbox is simply an ordinary name.  It is not INBOX, even if it happens to
access the same data in a particular configuration on Richard's server.

You also missed the point of my comment; I asked Richard if his mail store
did not have INBOX.  I asked because he said that he felt that no untagged
LIST results should be returned for "tag LIST INBOX %", yet his hierarchy
had /inbox which suggested that there was, indeed, a mailbox that has the
role of INBOX in his server.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
From: mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Mark Crispin wrote:
> You also missed the point of my comment; I asked Richard if his mail store
> did not have INBOX.  I asked because he said that he felt that no untagged
> LIST results should be returned for "tag LIST INBOX %", yet his hierarchy had
> /inbox which suggested that there was, indeed, a mailbox that has the role of
> INBOX in his server.

That, in turn, means that his server should have INBOX, regardless of
whether there is this other name of /inbox that can access that data.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
From: arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:37 -0000
Mark Crispin writes:
> On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Mark Crispin wrote:
>> You also missed the point of my comment; I asked Richard if his mail
>> store did not have INBOX.  I asked because he said that he felt that
>> no untagged LIST results should be returned for "tag LIST INBOX %",
>> yet his hierarchy had /inbox which suggested that there was, indeed,
>> a mailbox that has the role of INBOX in his server.
>
> That, in turn, means that his server should have INBOX, regardless of
> whether there is this other name of /inbox that can access that data.

Absolutely. "select INBOX" must work, no question about it. That doesn't
mean that INBOX has any special meaning when used as reference name -
there's nothing which says that the "foo/bar" example doesn't apply to
INBOX just as to any other mailbox name or level of hierarchy.

Arnt