From: Bill Janssen <janssen@parc.com>
To: imap-protocol@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:38 -0000
It would be useful to have a pseudo-client that exercised an IMAP
server, to check for implementation errors, to do regression testing,
to stress-test.  It would also be useful to have this client exercise
the typical patterns that various specific existing client
implementations use, to make sure all the combinations that a server
would normally experience are considered.

Anyone have, or know of, such a beast?

Thanks.

Bill
From: tss@iki.fi
To: imap-protocol@localhost
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 12:34:38 -0000
On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 14:45 -0700, Bill Janssen wrote:
> It would be useful to have a pseudo-client that exercised an IMAP
> server, to check for implementation errors, to do regression testing,
> to stress-test.  It would also be useful to have this client exercise
> the typical patterns that various specific existing client
> implementations use, to make sure all the combinations that a server
> would normally experience are considered.

I've a tool that does stress testing. Just last night I updated it to do
a lot of new things:

http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-March/020503.html

It's compatible with all IMAP servers, but if the server doesn't send
CAPABILITY reply in the banner it assumes that it supports LITERAL+ and
MULTIAPPEND capabilities, which may not be true with all servers.

It does some simple sanity checks, but it could do a lot more. It also
prints an error whenever a command fails with NO or BAD, or if the
connection hangs.

It also works as a pretty nice benchmarking tool. :)

If you do want to try it, you'll first need to compile Dovecot's
sources. I just found one bug because of it, so use
http://dovecot.org/nightly/dovecot-latest.tar.gz instead of the last
release.